Standard 1: Provide students with multiple and varied formative and summative assessments aligned with content and technology standards and use resulting data to inform learning and teaching.
I would like to use more formative assessment to assess understanding. Formative assessment is a way to check understanding throughout the learning process and adjust teaching based on the results. I often use formative assessment, but then do not always stop to re-teach the material that the students do not understand. I am not utilizing the importance of formative assessment.
I would like to achieve this goal by using Turning Points, a clicking system, to assess students through formative assessment. Turning points is a way to check student understanding over certain content knowledge immediately. It will allow me to see who does not understand the material, those who do, and the topics that the students are most struggling with. Then, I can take this information and make centers. One center will cover the students that are lacking the basic understanding of the concept, another center will address the students that are just making minor common mistakes and the last center will be for the students that have mastered the material and need enrichment activities.
I will monitor my progress over my re-teaching by giving the formative assessment before and after to ensure the students have improved in their learning.
I will evaluate my learning by reflecting on the re-teaching skills that are most benefitting the students. Then, I plan to eliminate the teaching skills that are not working and improving on the ones that are.
Standard 2: Develop technology-enriched learning environments that enable all students to pursue their individual curiosities and become active participants in setting their own educational goals, managing their own learning, and assessing their own progress.
Change is hard for many people. My goal to get students to be more responsible for their learning is to take one step at a time. I will first teach students how to make goals in their educational career. Then, we will work on how to monitor progress over their learning goals, and then I will teach them how to assess their progress. Students rely on teachers to determine their success. It will be hard to change that, but I think showing the students is the best way.
I plan to get students to be more responsible for their learning by providing resources to get them started. For example; providing I Can statements and tracking charts. Also, I will model for them how the process works. This will give them an example of how to manage their own learning.
I will monitor progress by having individual meetings with each students to check in with them over their goals, progress, and how they are assessing their learning.
I will evaluate the process by asking the students and monitoring their success with their learning.
Saturday, January 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Response to Trisha
ReplyDeleteReteaching is very important because it is hard to move on and build off of a concept when that concept is still unclear. Reteaching allows the teacher to focus on particular concepts that are unclear and make sure that the majority of the students understand the concept before moving on to the next concept.
I also find that students "rely on teachers to determine their success." I have many elementary students that come up to me and ask how their project looks or if they need to improve anything. I would rather have my students be able to monitor their own progress and be able to assess their own projects. Usually, I provide a checklist of directions and qualities that their projects must possess on the board and the students must take it upon themselves to look at the board and then look at their own project to make sure the objectives are reached.
I think your plan for using formative assessment sounds wonderful. I have worked with teachers who use clickers and the immediate feedback is priceless. I like the way you plan to use your information to break students into groups according to what areas they need to focus on. Your plan sounds well thought out and very well organized.
ReplyDeleteTrisha,
ReplyDeleteI have to admit that I also struggle with formative assessment. My issue is that I only see my students (I teach elementary computer lab)for an hour each week (barring interruption from testing, assemblies, etc.)and when I have my students, we tend to just dig in and get busy. Even with students helping each other, I am so busy in the lab that I hardly have time to even breathe. I am going to try some of the ideas in your GAME plan adn see if they help me with this challenge as well.
Thank you for sharing.