Sunday, December 27, 2009

Literacy

Literacy skills are important to have in all areas of education. I am a math teacher and incorporating reading and writing into the math curriculum is beneficial in the understanding of math skills. Being able to express math through writing is important in the processes of reflecting on mathematical concepts. I feel blogging is a great way to incorporate literacy skills into any subject area. It allows students to convey their understanding through communication that involves reading and writing. I would like to use blogging in my classroom, by posing a concept and having the students write what they know about the concept before we study. Then, students can communicate back and forth about what they already know. Then, after we have studied the concept we will go back and have the students ‘blog about it again. This idea is similar to a KWL chart, but through technology. Because of the lack of technology many of the students have a home; I will make sure that I provide classroom opportunity during school. Resources can often be one of the biggest problems when implementing an educational experience involving technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment